All-new 2021 i30 Sedan makes world premiere in Hollywood
Hyundai officially launched its all-new 2021 i30 Sedan and i30 Sedan Hybrid at The Lot Studios in West Hollywood with a special event today broadcast around the world. This marks the world debut of the latest version of the popular compact sedan.
The 2021 i30 Sedan showcases Hyundai’s latest ambitions, including a Sensuous Sportiness design identity, hybrid electric vehicle technology, and U.S. segment-first wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity. The car also provides exciting driving dynamics and the most progressive in-car experience in its class. Production of the 2021 i30 Sedan starts in the Spring in Ulsan, Korea.
Highlights for the 2021 i30 Sedan
- An all-new seventh-generation compact sedan with new vehicle platform
- Longer wheelbase, wider stance, lower roofline
- Second Hyundai vehicle with Sensuous Sportiness design identity
- An everyday exotic four-door-coupe look with innovative molding and engineering technology
- First-ever i30 Sedan Hybrid
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto make connecting easy
- Hyundai’s optional Digital Key allows i30 Sedan to be unlocked, started and driven without a physical key via a smartphone or NFC card
- Production to begin at Ulsan, Korea in Spring
- An enhanced natural-language voice-recognition system with Speech-to-Meaning and Deep Meaning Understanding technologies and lots of feature controls
- Standard SmartSense safety and convenience technologies
- Two available 10.25-inch multimedia screens under one piece of glass
“While some manufacturers no longer see the value in the car side of the business, we’re doubling down by offering an all-new model with both petrol and hybrid powertrains,” said Brian Smith, Chief Operating Officer, Hyundai Motor America. “We’ve sold more than 3.4 million Elantras’ here in the U.S. and more than 13.8 million worldwide, and the new, captivating look is going to bring excitement to a whole new generation of buyers. Then once inside, they’re going to love all of the progressive features.”
The all-new i30 Sedan is a compact vehicle that the next generation wants to drive. It is for customers that are pragmatic and sensible yet disruptive and always questioning traditions. This daring and non-conforming mindset is evident in the progressive and exciting i30 Sedan. It provides a better mobility experience as Hyundai becomes the “Smart Mobility Solution Provider” of the future.
Longer, Lower, and Wider
To transform the 2021 i30 Sedan into its new four-door-coupe look, Hyundai engineers and designers had to make it longer, lower, and wider compared to the sixth-generation model. The 2021 i30 Sedan gains 55.9mm in overall length and 20.3mm in its wheelbase, and the overall width is increased 25.4mm. The overall height also dropped 20.3mm, and the front cowl point was moved back almost 51mm. These minor changes dramatically changed the shape of the car but had limited impact on cabin space. In fact, most key interior dimensions increased.
Sensuous Sportiness Defined in the Parametric Dynamics Design
“Parametric dynamics” is the phrase Hyundai designers use to describe the dramatic look of the 2021 i30 Sedan.
“Like the first generation, the seventh-generation Elantra (i30 Sedan) has a bold character,” said Luc Donckerwolke, Executive Vice President and Chief Design Officer, Hyundai Motor Group. “The fresh esthetic was completed through unconventional lines and a face that broke a taboo in automotive design. The i30 Sedan is highlighted by its stance that looks like geometric crystals and divided body surfaces to get a strong emotional response from the customers.”
Having three lines meet at one point is a main ingredient in making the colorful parametric dynamics of i30 Sedan. Using this design element was a daring challenge, which has been avoided in car design, marking i30 Sedan’s “disrupter-spirit”.
- Parametric-jewel-pattern grille with turn-signal integration
- Wide, cascading grille creates an integrated architecture with the headlamp
- Bold fascia shape creates a strong front graphic
- Well-refined gem-like shapes create harmony with the bodyside surfaces
- Forwarded profile with a long, low hood creates a feeling of tension
- Bold edge runs constantly from the front to the rear
- Parametric-jewel body surfaces
- Available 15-, 16-, and 17-inch-wheel designs match the Parametric Dynamics theme
- Wide, horisontal line extends across the centre of the boot, stretching to the edges of the car
- High-tech “H-Tail Lamp” that creates a Hyundai flying H logo-like shape
- Rear glass has a black deck accent to enhance the coupe-like look
- Wing-type lower bumper treatment
- Well-refined gem-like shapes create harmony with the bodyside surfaces
The “immersive cocoon” interior layout envelops the driver like an airplane cockpit. Low, wide structures go from the door all the way to the center console. The low, wide structure also provides ample interior room. A large interface consisting of two harmoniously connected 10.25-inch displays enhances the futuristic feeling of the car. The angled touchscreen is easy for the driver to see and control. The interior gives the driver access to the latest technology and the confidence to use it.
- A 10.25-inch information-display cluster and 10.25-inch infotainment system
- Slim high-tech vents
- Customisable 64-color mood lighting
- Aircraft-cockpit-like driver-oriented layout
- A unique cornering grab handle for the passenger
- A high center console completes the driver-oriented layout
- Door center trim is long and low like a coupe
- Sporty low-placed inside handles
- Two-toned mélange emphasises the driver-focused layout even on the door
i30 Sedan Hybrid
For the first time ever, a hybrid powertrain has been added to the i30 Sedan lineup. i30 Sedan Hybrid demonstrates Hyundai’s commitment to expanding its eco-focused lineup of products. The new i30 Sedan Hybrid will feature a 1.6-litre GDI Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder engine. i30 Sedan Hybrid’s permanent-magnet electric motor delivers 32kW powered by a lithium-ion-polymer battery with 1.32kWh of capacity positioned under the rear seats. The 1.6-litre GDI engine combined with the electric motor in i30 Sedan Hybrid delivers a total system output of 103kW and up to 264Nm torque.
This engine mates with Hyundai’s quick-shifting, six-speed, dual-clutch transmission - differentiating i30 Sedan Hybrid from its key competitors because of its more dynamic and engaging driving experience. The high-efficiency electric motor has an electric only driving mode that delivers instantaneous torque at low speeds, with available power-assist at higher vehicle speeds.
i30 Sedan models offer the 2.0L MPI Atkinson Cycle engine that also has a focus on fuel economy. This engine generates 109kW @ 6,200rpm and 179Nm of torque @ 4,500rpm. These models are projected to achieve a best-in-class EPA (U.S. market) combined fuel economy rating, an improvement over previous models, due in part to an Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT).
Intelligent Variable Transmission Mated to a 2.0L Engine
Hyundai’s IVT provides superior efficiency and simulates gear shifts like those in the automatic transmissions that customers are used to. This transmission performs continuous shifts by the modulating pressure of the transmission’s pulley, depending on driving conditions and driver inputs. It uses a wide-ratio pulley system, which provides a broader ratio of operation compared with its competitors. This allows for improved fuel economy at higher gear ratios and improved performance at lower ratios.
As opposed to a more common push belt, the IVT takes advantage of a chain-design belt that improves fuel efficiency by an additional 1.2 percent compared with conventional belt systems.
Hyundai’s new Shift Control Strategy used by the IVT improves linearity between driver inputs, vehicle behavior and acceleration. Shift response closely replicates automatic transmission step shifts.
Third-Generation Compact-Sized K3 Vehicle Platform
Hyundai’s third-generation vehicle platform also dramatically enhances the overall design, safety, efficiency, power and driving performance of the 2021 i30 Sedan. The new i30 Sedan weighs less, has better fuel economy and is stronger compared to the previous generation, thanks to the new platform. This platform also allowed engineers to lower i30 Sedan’s centre of gravity for more agile handling. In the event of a collision, this platform improves safety because it uses a multi-load path structure.
Third-Generation Compact Sized K3 Vehicle Platform Highlights
- Improved proportions
- Improved stance by implementing a shorter front overhang
- Longer wheelbase
- Lower seating position by lowering seat height
- Lower center of gravity, increasing driving stability and makes the driver feel more connected to the car
- Multiple load paths for frontal crash performance
- Improved steering by moving gearbox position upward
- Improved suspension mounting structure for more responsive handling
- Front cowl point moved back and down for four-door-coupe appearance
- Developed to house internal combustion engines and hybrid powertrains
Ride and Handling
The 2021 i30 Sedan has a suspension tune that feels taut yet comfortable and minimises unwanted body roll while maximising wheel impact absorption. i30 Sedan Hybrid models offer a fully independent multilink setup in the rear and standard 16-inch alloy wheels for even more fun when the going gets sporty. All in all, whether it is a spirited drive through a twisty canyon road or cruising with friends on the highway, the new i30 Sedan is ready.
The driving performance goal for the 202 i30 Sedan was to create a car that was exciting and fun to drive. Combining the new platform and modern powertrains allows the car to respond quickly to the driver’s inputs and provide a quiet, solid ride on the highway. The nimble driving dynamics match the bold exterior design.
Hyundai Interior Packaging Efficiency
i30 Sedan’s sleek design, combined with Hyundai’s expertise in interior packaging, has produced an interior that delivers outstanding comfort, functionality and practicality. A sleek roofline typically compromises headroom, but at 1031.2mm of front headroom and 947.4mm of rear headroom, the 2021 i30 Sedan has more front headroom and the same amount of rear headroom as its predecessor. The longer wheelbase also provides a best-in-class (U.S. market) 965.2mm of rear legroom and the wider track width means improved shoulder room in the front and rear. Even in trunk room, the i30 Sedan shines. i30 Sedan 402 litres of boot space gives it an 8 percent advantage over the Corolla.
Two Available 10.25-inch Screens
The 2021 i30 Sedan has two futuristic 10.25-inch screens all under one piece of glass. The cluster has different views: utility, driver assistance and navigation. The optional infotainment system displays a wide variety of useful information across its 10.25-inch split touchscreen.
The navigation system includes a bird’s-eye view in navigation maps, and drivers get connected routing. Connected routing provides multiple navigation options and real-time route updates. Server-based routing makes the onboard navigation experience similar to current smartphone navigation apps.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto also look great on this 10.25-inch widescreen display. Dual Bluetooth support is also available, so two devices can be paired at the same time—one for phone calls and one for streaming audio.
Leave the mobile phone Cords Behind
Hyundai i30 Sedan’s standard eight-inch Display Audio user interface allows owners to leave the mobile phone cords at home. This is because Wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are available as U.S. segment-first features, allowing one to leave the phone in a pocket or purse.
SmartSense Safety Features (U.S. market)
The 2021 i30 Sedan offers a new array of standard advanced safety technologies:
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) with Pedestrian Detection uses the car’s front-facing camera to help detect an imminent collision with a vehicle or pedestrian and avoid impact or minimise damage by braking automatically
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) helps prevent accidental lane departure by sensing road markings, automatically steering the car if necessary
- Lane Following Assist (LFA) may automatically adjust steering to help keep the vehicle centred in its lane of travel. LFA can help keep the vehicle centered on both highways and city streets.
- High Beam Assist (HBA) eliminates the need for drivers to manually switch high beamson and off at night
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW) system that monitors a spectrum of driver-related characteristics to help detect driver fatigue
- Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
Optional SmartSense Features (U.S. market)
- Blind-Spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA) with Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA) helps detect a vehicle in the drivers’ blind spot while the turn signal is on.
- Smart Cruise Control (SCC) makes highway and long-distance driving more comfortable. Using a radar sensor mounted on the lower front grille, the SCC system maintains a set distance from the vehicle ahead in varied traffic conditions by automatically adjusting vehicle speed as needed.
- Highway Driving Assist (HDA) is a driving convenience system that assists drivers in maintaining the center of the lane and at an appropriate speed while keeping a safe distance from the car in front.
- Safe Exit Warning (SEW) may sound an alert when a vehicle approaches from behind, letting passengers know it may not be safe to open the door to exit the vehicle.
- Reverse Parking Collision Avoidance Assist (PCA) helps detect pedestrians and obstacles with a rearview camera and ultrasonic sensors. The system can provide warnings and apply emergency braking to assist in the avoidance of a collision.
Standard Interior Features (U.S. market)
- Eight-inch colour display audio system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and HD Radio
- Bluetooth and steering wheel audio controls
- Drive Mode Select
- Rearview camera with dynamic guidelines
Optional Interior Features (U.S. market)
- Hyundai Auto Link Connected Car System with three years of complimentary Auto Link services
- Qi wireless charging
- 25-inch infotainment system with faster processor, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and connected routing
- Bose premium sound system with eight speakers, including powerful Super65 wide-range speakers in the front doors and a woofer on the rear deck
Hyundai Auto Link
The new i30 Sedan features Hyundai Auto Link Connected Car System, which uses embedded telematics to allow drivers to remote-start their vehicle and control interior temperature using the smartphone app. The app also allows users to either remotely lock or unlock their doors, and to find their vehicle in a crowded parking lot with Car Finder and remote horn and lights.
Voice Recognition System
The all-new i30 Sedan has an enhanced natural language voice recognition system with more and better feature control. This natural-language voice recognition system includes Speech-to-Meaning and Deep Meaning Understanding technologies, delivering unprecedented speed and accuracy in voice recognition and responses, and an ability to understand context, such as the user’s location to support natural interactions.
Using a natural voice, one can control the:
- Climate on/off
- Air conditioner on/off
- Heat on/off
- Fan high/low
- Defrost on
- Set fan to face, feet, or face and feet
- Defrost on and set fan to feet
- Warm up/cool down
- Air intake system on
- Turn on/off heated seats (driver/passenger)
- Set heated seat levels 1, 2, or 3 (driver/passenger)
- Rear window defroster on/off
- Turn on/off the heated steering wheel
- And additional functions
To activate controls, all the driver has to do is use the “push to talk button” on the steering wheel and say the requested command. Conversations will sound like, “Air conditioner on,” “Set fan to face,” or “Turn on my heated seat.” There are also more requests the system can handle. A user can say via Auto Link, “What is the temperature in St. Louis?”, “When is Mother’s Day?”, “Find me a Starbucks”, or “Who won the L.A. King’s game last night?”
Continuing to promote the latest advances in technology, the all-new i30 Sedan has an optional smartphone-based Hyundai Digital Key. Digital Key uses a dedicated mobile app, Near Field Communication (NFC) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology to allow a new i30 Sedan to be unlocked, started and driven without a physical key via applicable Android smartphones. i30 Sedan’s Digital Key also allows secure sharing of virtual keys with family and friends. i30 Sedan owners can tailor the different vehicle functions available to each shared virtual key, and the key can be made available for only a defined amount of time. The vehicle owner can preset the duration of vehicle use or limit the use to only certain features when loaning the vehicle, and keys can also be revoked remotely. For additional convenience, such as using a valet service or visiting a Hyundai dealer, Hyundai Digital Key also works with an NFC card, which is provided with each vehicle. Each i30 Sedan still comes with traditional keys. Hyundai Digital Key is compatible only with phones using the Android operating system. Hyundai Digital Key uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which exhibits a high level of security. NFC wireless data communication takes place only when the device and the reader are placed several centimetres apart.